Wednesday, March 9, 2016

My Thoughts On The Latest Finding Dory Trailer

My Thoughts On The Latest Finding Dory Trailer
Finding Dory
Before Zootopia, there was a trailer for the highly anticipated sequel to the Pixar classic, Finding Nemo, called Finding Dory. Now what are my thoughts? Well, first let's go back to the year 2013, back when Monsters University was new.
Monsters University
Monsters University was Pixar's first prequel, and their 5th longest movie to date. It told the story of how Mike and Sulley first met in college, but that's the problem. In the original Monsters Inc, Mike explicitly stated "You have been jealous of my good looks since 4th grade." Also, MU (Monsters University) demoted Mike Wazowski from the hilarious sidekick to a nerd with big dreams, and James P Sullivan from a big blue teddy bear to a big blue jerk. Another problem I have is the plot. Monsters Inc had quite an organic plot, despite some similarities to Little Monsters and Aaahhh!! Real Monsters, while Monsters University has a plot familiar to Revenge of the Nerds and Cool Runnings. To top it all off, Pete Doctor was demoted to an executive producer, probably because he was busy with Inside Out at the time.
Back to Finding Dory, I just don't want the characters to be downgraded or have their personalities changed drastically. However, unlike MU, Finding Dory looks promising. Finding Dory will tell the story of Dory trying to find her family and getting lost in an aquarium. I find that intriguing because I love going to the New England Aquarium, and I wonder how sea creatures feel about getting picked up in the touch tank, thanks to the new trailer. I know Pixar already did something similar in Toy Story 3, but this is with living breathing animals, even if some of them don't have bones.
Finding Dory is coming to theaters June 17th.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen Monsters University and am very excited for Finding Dory! I appreciate your commentary on the two films. I have never taken into account the things that you did about MU. I will keep these in mind while watching Finding Dory! - Mary Gallant

    ReplyDelete