Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Movie Review: April and the Extraordinary World

Movie Review: April and the Extraordinary World                                                                      5-14-16
 April and the Extraordinary World Poster
This is the first hand-drawn animated movie I have seen in theaters since Curious George in 2006, though I went to see The Lion King when it was re-released in 2011. I unfortunately missed The Princess and the Frog in theaters because I felt like I was too old for it at the time, and now I wish I could've seen it in theaters. However, today, I got the chance to see a hand-drawn feature: The French-produced April and the Extraordinary World!
April and the Extraordinary World takes place in an alternate timeline in which the Industrial Revolution never happened, and humans relied on fossil fuels and chemistry instead of electricity. In 1931, scientist Paul Franklin is on a verge of discovering a formula that can make humans immortal. However, he was ambushed by Pizoni and separated from his daughter April. Ten years later, April blossomed into an intelligent and confident young woman, and now must embark on a quest with her talking cat Darwin and a street rat named Julius to reunite with her parents and give them the formula.
Now what do I think of the movie? Well, I enjoyed it! The version I saw was in French, but had English subtitles. The 2D animation is lush and beautiful, April is a great female role model, her cat Darwin is funny at times, and the villain is a complete unique surprise. The movie might be rated PG, but the film appeals more to adults than kids.
Rating: 4 and a half stars out of 5

1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked it and got a chance to see 2D in theater again.

    ReplyDelete