Monday, April 18, 2022

Finding Bailey Chapter 7

It was late in the night, and Bailey had finally arrived in Alaska. Glacier Bay National Park, to be exact. There was a harbor seal lying on the shore.

“Excuse me!” Said Bailey. “Is this Alaska?”

“Yes it is!” Replied the seal. “My name is Qimmiq. That’s Inuit for dog, as many people think seals and sea lions act and sound like dogs. What do you need help with?”

“My friends are sick!” He said, showing Hank and Dory on his neck, who were unconscious. “I need to bring them home to Australia! Do you suppose you could find a way to cure them and return them home?”

“This isn’t good.” Said Qimmiq. “They need to get indoors quick. My friend Kanaaq the fox knows a cabin that can warm up your friends. I’ll go get her.” Qimmiq started to bark, and continued to do so until a red fox walked over to him.

“What was that for?” She asked. It was Kanaaq. “I was this close to catching a marmot!”

“This is more important!” Said Qimmiq. “This beluga traveled all the way from Australia, and his friends need to find a warm place soon, or else they’ll die!”

“Wait, hold up!” Said Kanaaq. “What was a beluga doing in Australia?!”

“Dory, the one here,” Bailey explained. “Helped me escape from California to Australia, and she wanted to return me to Alaska so I could be in my right habitat. Please? Nobody’s that heartless.”

“Okay.” Said Kanaaq, knocking over a bucket of fishing bait left on the beach. She filled it up with water and brought it in front of Bailey. “Throw your friends into this bucket. I’ll bring the bucket inside the cabin, where they will warm up by the fireplace.”

“But how will you get in?” Asked Bailey, throwing Dory and Hank into the bucket.

“I’ll go in through the doggy door.” Replied Kanaaq. “The park ranger is asleep right now, and I’ll sneak in through the doggy door. He has a loyal husky that sleeps with him at night in his bedroom. Your friends will regain consciousness by the morning, and I’ll stay inside until morning. Qimmiq, you tell Nuka about our plan for tomorrow.” Kanaaq grabbed the bucket, ran over to the cabin, snuck in, and placed the bucket by the fireplace, but there was no fire. Luckily, she knew humans well enough to start a fire. She grabbed a match from the nearby table with her mouth, stroke it against the brick wall, which lit it on fire, and threw it in the fireplace.

“Good.” She said. “Now I just need to stay here until morning.” She curled herself into a ball and fell asleep.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Hank and Dory woke up in a crammed bucket.

“Ahh!” Dory shouted, with Hank’s tentacles in front of her eyes. “I can't see!”

“Those are my tentacles!” Said Hank, pulling himself out of the bucket, but was shocked to see a fox sleeping. It was Kanaaq, who woke up to tell Hank everything.

“Please don’t scream.” She told Hank. “You’ll wake up the ranger.” Hank then started shivering.

“Why is it so cold?” He asked.

“You’re in Alaska, Eight Legs.” Answered Kanaaq. “The name’s Kanaaq, and if you want to go back to Australia, you have to follow my lead. And you have to bring your friend along in the bucket.” Kanaaq and Hank slowly walked out of the cabin, and as soon as they escaped, the park ranger woke up to smell fire.

“What’s that smell?” He asked. “Smells like fire. FIRE?!” He ran out of bed, woke up his husky, and ran over to the fireplace. “How on Earth did the fire get started? Did it start by itself? Better put this out.” He walked over to the sink, grabbed a pitcher, filled it with water, walked over to the fireplace, and put the fire out.

No comments:

Post a Comment