Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Animal Princesses

Today is my birthday, and instead of you giving me presents, I give you presents! Remember how in Zootopia, Duke Weaselton can be seen selling animal versions of animated Disney movies like Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen, and Big Hero 6?
Well, that made me think. 'What would the other Disney Princesses look like in the world of Zootopia?' That lead me to a fun yet daunting task: To interpret the Disney Princesses as animals. May I proudly present the Animal Princesses!
Snow White
First, we have Snow White as a sheep. I fit each of the princesses by their personality and nationality, and Snow truly is gentle as a lamb. I even imagine the Zootopia equivalent of Snow White to be called 'Sheep White and the Seven Mice.'
Cinderella
For Cinderella, I decided to make her a rabbit like Judy Hopps and her family. I imagine the Zootopia equivalent of Cinderella to be called 'Cinderabbit.'
Aurora
For Aurora, which was a particular challenge, I made her a roe deer, a deer native to Europe. Because of the fact that Aurora only had 18 minutes of screen time in Sleeping Beauty, we honestly didn't get to know much about her personality.
Ariel 
For Ariel as a mermaid, I made her the rather odd-looking manatee. When manatees were first discovered by Christopher Columbus during the 15th century, he and his crew mistook them for mermaids.
FL fig04.jpg
For Ariel as a human, I made her a hippopotamus. I made this decision because dugongs (not to be confused with the Pokemon Dewgong), a cousin of the manatee, are in fact related to the elephant.
Image result for dugong family tree
Belle
For Belle, I made her a European Mink, an endangered mustelid that is unfortunately killed so rich people can wear them as scarves.
 Mink1.jpg
Jasmine 
For Jasmine, it was difficult, but I made her a jerboa, a hopping rodent that lives in the deserts of Africa and the Middle East.
Four-toes-jerboa.jpg
I'm sorry I didn't giver her the signature Disney eyes, but I don't think they would fit a mouse. Instead, I took inspiration from The Rescuers (not to be confused with The Rescuers Down Under).
Bob Newhart in The Rescuers (1977)
Pocahontas
For Pocahontas, I made her into a puma, a North American wildcat that is also known as the cougar and the mountain lion.
Cougar snow.jpg
Mulan
For Mulan, which was another particular challenge, I made her into a tiger. I didn't want to make her a panda, China's national animal, because it would be too obvious.
Tiana 
And finally, for Tiana, I made her a zebra. I chose this because zebras live in Africa, and Tiana is African-American.
For fun, I made Rapunzel a horse, which is actually official in the Zootopia world. Instead of Tangled, Rapunzel's film is called 'Wrangled'.
I chose not to do Merida because I had trouble choosing what animal to make her. That's where you come in!
To be continued later today...

No comments:

Post a Comment