Back in Zootopia, ex-mayor of the city Leodore Lionheart is freed from prison for being the only one who didn't escape last year, as well as time off for good behavior. Upon leaving the prison, he meets with Mayor Brian Winddancer.
"Brian Winndancer?" Asked Lionheart. "I recognize you in Big Trouble in Little Rodentia! What are you doing here?"
"Didn't you hear?" Asked the horse. "I'm the mayor of Zootopia now, but I need help: How do I be a good mayor? I've been a mayor for about a year now, and I was mostly used as a puppet by the Lynxleys."
"Used as a puppet?" Asked Lionheart. "Boy, you do need help. First off, think for yourself. Even if you're a sloth, koala, panda bear, or guinea pig, you have to have independent thoughts! Second of all, you need to be honest. As the old saying goes, honesty is the best policy!"
"Says the same cat who's been locking up savage mammals in Cliffside Asylum." Replied Winddancer.
"It was to protect the city!" Said Lionheart. "Besides, as I put it in an interview, it was a classic 'doing the wrong thing for the right reason' kind of a deal. What I'm getting at is that you have to be honest, but not too honest. Third of all, you need to be noble."
"I can act like I'm noble." Said Winddancer. "Does that count?"
"No it doesn't." Said Lionheart. "However, I can get you books on being a great mayor. Which reminds me, the final tip I have for you is to treat your assistant mayor well, or else she'll pull off an elaborate attempt to destroy society as we know it! As Ted Badgers put it, treat others like how you'd like to be treated."
"Thanks for the advice, Lionheart." Said Winddancer. "Want my autograph? A selfie with me? My best movie on Zoo-Ray?"
"None of that, thank you very much." Replied Lionheart. "However, I do have a question for you: Do you have an assistant mayor?"
"Actually, no." Answered Winndancer. "I guess I don't. Tomorrow, I'll hold auditions on who should be my assistant mayor! And who knows? Maybe it's a mare. Get it? A mare, as in a female horse?" He gave out a winnie-laugh.
-----------------------------------------------
Back at the ZPD, Benjamin Clawhauser was Zoogling birds, and he found out they have beaks, are warm-blooded, have feathers, and lay eggs.
"Hmm." The cheetah said to himself. "Birds are warm-blooded like mammals, yet they lay eggs like reptiles. That's strange."
"What's so strange about that?" Asked Terrence Jawful. "Platypuses and echidnas lay eggs and they are mammals. Pit vipers and Jackson's chameleons give birth and they are reptiles. Believe me, I saw it first-claw! Besides, Gazelle once said that birds don't just fly, they fall down and get up."
"What are you saying?" Asked Clawhauser.
"You need to visit the library to learn more about birds." Said Jawful. "The museum may be tempting, but they only have taxidermy mammals and reptiles on display. No birds."
"But who will take my place at the ZPD?" Asked Clawhauser.
"Snarlov will take your place while you're gone." Answered Jawful, grabbing a polar bear cop with his jaws. "You can handle the ZPD counter. Can't you, Snarlov?"
"Okay, but won't Chief Bogo get mad?" Asked the bear.
"Don't worry your snowy white head about it!" Replied Clawhauser. "I'll just tell Chief Bogo through text." Clawhauser texted Chief Bogo on his phone to tell him about his trip to the library. In his office, Bogo got a text from Clawhauser that said 'Be back in 30 minutes. Jawful and I are going to the library to learn more about birds, and Snarlov is taking my place while I'm gone!'
"Why did I even hire him in the first place?" Bogo asked himself. "He can't even run 5 miles per hour!"
-----------------------------
Benjamin and Terrence went to the local library to learn more about birds. The crocodile was looking at the books in the 590s section.
"Let's see." Jawful read out loud. "594 is mollusks, 595 is arthropods, 597 is fish, amphibians, and reptiles, here we are! 598- birds!" He pulled out a book that said 'Birds: Feathered Friends or Feathered Foes?'. The two predators went to a table and started reading.
"'The only known location on Earth where birds live is Canary Island.'" Clawhauser read. "'We mammals may have not spent a whole day there, but what we did discover is anything but friendly. With a few exceptions, many of the bird species here are bloodthirsty savages who will eat any animal smaller than them, even if they are sentient.' Yikes! That sounds worse than mammals going savage!" The capybara librarian shushed at Clawhauser to be quieter.
"Sorry." The cheetah apologized as he read quieter. "'The animals they catch that don't want to get eaten have to do slave work.' Poor little guys. 'Our recommendation, don't visit Canary Island or even the Southern cape of Outback Island. Birds are worse than reptiles!'"
"What do they have against reptiles?" Asked Jawful.
"Oh, that." Said Clawhauser. "For a century, Zootopia has been a mammal-exclusive city because a pit viper was framed for killing the Lynxley family maid. Because of that, no mammal trusted any reptile after that, and they were forced to live in a secret club in Marsh Market, which I'm glad didn't get buried in snow! Have you tasted their tilapia?"
"Shush!" Said the capybara.
"Maybe we should leave." Said Jawful, and they decided to leave the library while Clawhuaser rambled about Zootopia's history.
-------------------------------------
Later that evening on Renato's boat, our four heroes have been on sea for eight hours. The gang finished dinner, and Nick has finished sharing his childhood trauma to Nibbles and Cory.
"Whoa." Said Nibbles. "You're telling me that a rodent put a muzzle on you when you were just a cub? Man, that's cruel!"
"Yes, something like that." Answered Nick. "As I told Carrots last year, if the world sees a fox as sly and untrustworthy, then that's what I'll be. But then Judy came by and changed all that!"
"At least the other birds don't mock or ridicule me for eating only fish and frogs." Said Cory. "Except for Nolan. He hates my dietary habits and ordered me to eat a reptile. That's where I crashed into that giant metal tree."
"You mean a building." Said Judy.
"Sorry if I sound off-topic," Nibbles interrupted. "But one time, I had a dream about the strangest animal of all: A human, which has skin like a pig, the body of a sloth without the fur, the front paws of a koala, the feet of a kangaroo, the eyes of a crocodile, the mouth and toes of a kinkajou, the ears of a hedgehog, the nose of a beaver, and hair on the top of their bald heads. To make matters worse, humans rule the world while animals don't talk or wear clothes. Instead, they either live in the wild, in zoos or aquariums, or as pets!"
"That seawater is messing with your brain, beaver." Said Renato. "I think you should all get some shuteye while I continue sailing. We'll arrive at Canary Island in the morning."
Author's Notes: It's been scientifically proven that sloths, koalas, panda bears, and guinea pigs aren't that smart.
Big Trouble in Little Rodentia is a play on the movie Big Trouble in Little China. It's also a name of a tie-in book for Zootopia 1.
Ted Badgers is a play on TV legend Fred Rogers, who happens to be one of my heroes.
In the world of Zootopia, the characters use Zoogle instead of Google.
The climax of Zootopia 1 took place in the Natural History Museum, which showcased how the city evolved throughout the millenia. I was gonna have Benjamin and Terrence visit the museum, but I figured that since birds aren't part of the city, they shouldn't be there.
When Nick Wilde was a cub, he wanted to forest the Junior Forest Scouts, despite being the only predators. The club members, which included a zebra, a hippo, a wildebeest, and what I think is a hyrax. Instead of embracing him with open hooves, the kids just bully Nick and place a muzzle on his face.
No comments:
Post a Comment