Friday, March 11, 2016

Movie Review: Ratatouille

Movie Review: Ratatouille                                                                                                          3-11-16
Ratatouille Poster
Ratatouille tells the story of a French rat named Remy (Patton Oswalt), who has a good sense of smell and a passion for food. He follows in the footsteps of the deceased, but legendary Chef Gusteu, the greatest chef in Paris. When he finds himself in the restaurant of Gusteu's itself, Remy befriends a nincompoop named Linguini. He has no idea how to cook, but Remy does. Remy teaches Linguini how to cook by hiding under his hat and pulling his hairs. However, the devious Chef Skinner is aware of Linguini's secret, and will do anything to expose Linguini's secret.
Now, what do I think of Ratatouille? Well, it's definitely not as good as previous Pixar movies like Toy Story, Monsters Inc, or Finding Nemo, but is definitely better than Cars. For nearly two years, I had a grudge against Ratatouille simply because one of my friends at school dislikes it. But after watching it a second time, I was more open to it. The story is very organic and compelling, the animation is top-notch as usual, the female character Collette is tough as nails, and the followup short film, Your Friend The Rat, is hilarious and ingenious. Also, Ratatouille taught me to like different kinds of foods. I used to be a bit of a picky eater, but now I am willing to try almost anything, and I am glad Ratatouille won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.
PS. I am so sorry that I didn't include Ratatouille in my Top 30 Greatest CGI Movies of All Time countdown. I promise when Toy Story turns 25, in my Top 35 Greatest CGI Movies of All Time countdown, I will replace James Cameron's Avatar with Ratatouille. I will also add Surf's Up, Inside Out, The Peanuts Movie, Zootopia, and if it qualifies, Moana. If you are wondering about what I think of Surf's Up, I will post my review of it in June.
Update! 6-8-16: I changed my mind. I will not do a Top 35 Greatest CGI Movies of All Time countdown when Toy Story turns 25. Instead, I will update the Top 30 Greatest CGI Movies of All Time countdown at the end of the year, and have five honorable mentions.

2 comments:

  1. I'm one of your sister's roommates and she told me about your blog, this is one of my all time favorite animated movies so I'm glad you wrote a review of it! I've always thought the characters were very unique, that's why I liked it. And of course I also liked that it involved food!

    ReplyDelete