Thursday, July 14, 2016

Cartoon Network vs. Nickelodeon Part 7/10

Battle 7:SpongeBob SquarePants vs. Chowder

Since SpongeBob is so insanely popular, there's no need explaining it. I know there are lots of people that love SpongeBob, but I personally don't like it. I have 16 reasons why.
  1. Sea sponges cannot move, but they can be detached like plants without getting fatally injured.
  2. Fire and bodies of water (like lakes and oceans) should not exist underwater.
  3. SpongeBob should be a Cubicus boxfish instead of a sea sponge, so he can be more mobile and expressive in a realistic sense.
  4. Scallops do not poop.
  5. There shouldn't be explicit violence/depictions of organs, because that would cause younger kids to either get scared, upset, or disgusted.
  6. The fish and cephalopod characters should be able to swim and should not wear clothes.
  7. The mammal characters (except for Sandy) should be bigger than the fish and invertebrate characters.
  8. The characters are not good role models.
  9. The Plankton plots are too predictable, cliched, repetitive, and tiresome.
  10. The characters should be living in holes, under rocks, or in reefs, like their real-life counterparts.
  11. Since there are over 30,000 different species of fish, the writers and creators should choose the ones that would fit the personalities and traits of a sea bear, sea rhinoceros, or sea chicken, if they ever existed.
  12. Since the ocean is so big, the characters should be visiting different oceans from all over the world, each with different climates and species. It would teach children about climate change in a way they would understand.
  13. SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Plankton should not have skeletons.
  14. The characters shouldn't eat 'fishified' human food, but eat carrion, seaweed, algae, bivalves, sea cucumbers, and their own substitute for bread made from sea sponges.
  15. The gastropods (snails and slugs) should not be treated like pets.
  16. The clams, oysters, and scallops should not all look the same, but they can still be treated and behave like animals.
When I was younger, I liked SpongeBob, but I simply grew out of it. Like how one would stop playing with toys at a certain age. However, there are some episodes that I do like. I can tolerate 90% of Season 1, because the animation gives me that nostalgic feel. The only Season 2/Season 3 episodes I really like are You're Shoe's Untied, Bossy Boots, Big Pink Loser, and Band Geeks.
 
'Now what Cartoon Network show would I compare to SpongeBob?' You may ask yourself. Well, I chose Chowder. Like I said in one of my author's notes for Steven and Phoebe, Chowder is best described as a cross between SpongeBob and Ratatouille with a hint of Jim Henson. Anyway, Chowder is about a cat-bear-rabbit thing named Chowder who, under the supervision of Mung Daal, cook all sorts of crazy dishes, like a Froggy Apple Crumple Thumpkin, Burple Nurples, Feetza, and Stenchilladas. I compared Chowder to SpongeBob because both take place in a restaurant, both have (in my opinion) poor role models, and both have similar senses of humor. That's because Chowder creator CH Greenblatt got his start on SpongeBob. Also, the characters Squidward and Schnitzel are almost identical.
Which show do I think is better? Even though I'm not a fan anymore, I'll have to go with SpongeBob. See you tomorrow when I compare everyone's favorite football head to the Crystal Clods: That's right! Next up is Hey Arnold vs. Steven Universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment